Sunday, May 1, 2011

Random Music Post: Holly Golightly

I first discovered Holly Golightly when I heard her excellent track "There's an End" on the Broken Flowers soundtrack. Which is interesting, because I've never seen the movie and in fact I don't even own the soundtrack, just the one song. But somehow (probably the result of an evening involving cocktails and the now-defunct Limewire) the track made it onto my iPod and I was instantly hooked on Holly's 60's girl group sound.

I couldn't find an official video for this song. It was recorded with the band The Greenhornes 
and is also on their album Dual Mono.




Since 2007, Holly has been teamed up with longtime bandmate Lawyer Dave to form Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs. Sounding a lot like a band you might've heard in a dirty backwater gin joint in the 1920's, the band combines elements of bluegrass and Americana and gives the whole thing a darkly humorous and sometimes vaguely sinister twist.


I got drunk on whiskey, drunk on wine
The lord don't like it but the devil don't mind
Ain't nobody gonna love you like the devil do.

-Devil Do, from You Can't Buy a Gun When You're Crying


There's plenty more to check out from this vastly under-appreciated artist, but I'll just leave you with one more from 2008's Dirt Don't Hurt. Also see Holly's website for tour dates and all sorts of other good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment